quote

"There's no beauty without poignancy and there's no poignancy without the feeling that it's going, men, names, books, houses--bound for dust--mortal--" - F. Scott Fitzgerald (The Beautiful & Damned)

Monday, July 22, 2013

DIY Silver Deer Cake Toppers & Cork Sign


We’ve been melting in our apartment, while outside the city tall corn stalks wave their yellow tassels.

I want to be tubing down the Potomac, surrounded by the lush greens and puffy white clouds of summer; lying on a porch swing, looking up at the evergreen trees; or biking through the woods towards a drippy vanilla ice cream cone with rainbow sprinkles. The city was so hot last week I give myself pep-talks on my walk home from work and considered asking a woman watering her garden to spray me with the hose. I still have summer vacation envy, but at least now I have metallic deer to keep me company…

For the silver deer cake toppers, order plastic wildlife figurines. I bought mine from from Safari Ltd.  for $5.99 a piece (remember to keep size in mind). Coat figurines with adhesion promoter, allow them to dry, and then paint them with metallic silver spray paint.

Remember to spray paint in a well-ventilated area inside of a deep cardboard box or on a drop cloth to protect the surrounding area. For this project, I used quick, short spurts of paint. If you spray too much paint, just wipe off the excess with a clean rag.


For the cork “BAR” sign, find/purchase a piece of wood your desired size and thickness. Next, with the board flat on the floor, arrange corks exactly how you would like them to look. Using a glue gun, carefully glue the corks one-by-one onto the board. (Have your board face the television, so you can listen to Wedding Crashers or Father of the Bride while you work.) Lean the board against a flat surface, like I did, or add hooks or other supports as desired.

As always, e-mail if you have any questions! On a side note, we'll be toasting the royal baby tonight. Congratulations to the royal family : )

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...